||Xu Lin Ph.D., Professor
|Laboratory of Human Nutrition and Related Diseases
E-mail: xlin@@sibs.ac.cn (delete one @ to send email)
Education Background & Academic Experience:
Dr. Lin received her MD from Zhejiang Chinese Medical University in 1983 and PhD degree from Division of Nutritional Science at Cornell University in 1998. She was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow of NIH/NIA and NIH/NIEHS in University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Duke University Medial Center, respectively. She was also a research associate in US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Dr. Lin became a professor, group leader and principle investigator in Institute for Nutritional Sciences since she returned to China in August of 2003. Currently, she serves as an Executive Broad Member of Chinese Nutrition Society, Member of Editorial Board for ANNALS OF NUTRITION AND METABOLISM and a Regional Research Advisors for World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF).
• Effects of gene-gene, gene-environment factors (diet/lifestyle) and gene-phenotype, and their interactions on the development of obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes; also the predict roles of diet and lifestyle factors, gene variants, inflammatory factors and adipokines in the onset and development of metabolic diseases in Chinese population;
• Nutrition intervention trials for individuals with metabolic disorders.
- Zong G, Sun Q, Yu D, Zhu J, Sun L, Ye X, Jin Q, Zheng H, Li H, Hu FB, Lin X*. Associations of dairy product consumption with risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and changes in metabolic traits in middle-aged and older Chinese after six-year follow-up. Diabetes Care. 37:56-63,2014.
- Liu X, Zhang G, Ye X, Li H, Chen X, Tang L, Feng Y, Shai I, Stampfer M, Hu F, Lin X*. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiometabolic profile in Chinese women: a randomized controlled feeding trial. British Journal of Nutrition. 110:1444-53, 2013.
- Sun L, Zong G, Pan A, Ye X, Li H, Yu Z, Zhao Y, Zou S, Yu D, Jin Q, Hu FB, Lin X*. Elevated plasma ferritin is associated with increased incidence of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults. Journal of Nutrition. 143:1459-65,2013.
- Zong G, Zhu J, Sun L, Ye X, Jin Q, Zheng H, Yu Z, Li H, Sun Q, Lin X*. Associations of erythrocyte fatty acids in the de novo lipogenesis pathway with risk of metabolic syndrome in a cohort study of middle-aged and older Chinese. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 98:319-26,2013.
- Zong G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Wu H, Lin X*. Effects of flaxseed supplementation on erythrocyte fatty acids and multiple cardiometabolic biomarkers among Chinese with risk factors of metabolic syndrome. European Journal of Nutrition. 52:1547-51,2013.
- Zhu J, Sun Q, Zong G, Si Y, Liu C, Qi Q, Ye X, Sun L, Sheng H, Li H, Lin X*. Interaction between a common variant in FADS1 and erythrocyte polyunsaturated fatty acids on lipid profile in Chinese Hans. Journal of Lipid Research. 54:1477-83,2013.
- Zhang G, Ding H, Chen H, Ye X, Li H, Lin X*, and Ke Z. Thiamine nutritional status and depressive symptoms are inversely associated among older Chinese adults. Journal of Nutrition. 143:53-8,2013.
- Li H, Gan W, Lu L, Dong X, Han X, Hu C, Yang Z, Sun L, Bao W, Li P, He M, Sun L, Wang Y, Zhu J, Ning Q, Tang Y, Zhang R, Wen J, Wang D, Zhu X, Guo K, Zuo X, Guo X, Yang H, Zhou X, DIAGRAM Consortium, AGEN-T2D Consortium, Zhang X, Qi L, Loos RJ, Hu FB, Wu T, Liu Y, Liu L, Yang Z, Hu R, Jia W, Ji L, Li Y, Lin X*. A Genome-Wide Association Study Identifies GRK5 and RASGRP1 as Type 2 Diabetes Loci in Chinese Hans. Diabetes. 62:291-8,2013.
- Li RX, Ding YB, Zhao SL, Xiao YY, Li QR, Xia FY, Sun L, Lin X, Wu JR, Liao K, Zeng R. Secretome-derived isotope tags (SDIT) reveal adipocyte-derived apolipoprotein C-I as a predictive marker for cardiovascular disease. Journal of Proteome Research. 11:2851-62,2012.
- Zong G, Ye X, Sun L, Li H, Yu Z, Sun Q, Hu FB, Lin X*. Associations of erythrocyte palmitoleic acid with adipokines, inflammatory markers, and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 96:970-6,2012.
- Yu D, Sun Q, Ye X, Pan A, Zong G, Zhou Y, Li H, Hu FB, Lin X*. Erythrocyte trans-fatty acids, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged and older Chinese. Diabetologia. 55:2954-62,2012.
- Sun L, Yu Y, Huang T, An P, Yu D, Yu Z, Li H, Sheng H, Cai L, Xue J, Jing M, Li Y, Lin X*, Wang F. Associations between ionomic profile and metabolic abnormalities in human population. PLoS One. 7:e38845,2012.
- Zhang G, Sun Q, Hu FB, Ye X, Yu Z, Zong G, Li H, Zhou Y, Lin X*. Erythrocyte n-3 Fatty Acids and Metabolic Syndrome in Middle-Aged and Older Chinese. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 97:E973-7,2012.
- Gan W, Guan Y, Wu Q, An P, Zhu J, Lu L, Jing L, Yu Y, Ruan S, Xie D, Makrides M, Gibson RA, Anderson GJ, Li H, Lin X*, Wang F. Association of TMPRSS6 polymorphisms with ferritin, hemoglobin and type 2 diabetes risk in a Chinese Han population. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 95:626-32,2012.
- Li H, Kilpeläinen TO, Liu C, Zhu J, Liu Y, Hu C, Yang Z, Zhang W, Bao W, Cha S, Wu Y, Yang T, Sekine A, Choi BY, Yajnik CS, Zhou D, Takeuchi F, Yamamoto K, Chan JC, Mani KR, Been LF, Imamura M, Nakashima E, Lee N, Fujisawa T, Karasawa S, Wen W, Joglekar CV, Lu W, Chang Y, Xiang Y, Gao Y, Liu S, Song Y, Kwak SH, Shin HD, Park KS, Fall CHD, Kim JY, Sham PC, Lam KSL, Zheng W, Shu X, Deng H, Ikegami H, Krishnaveni GV, Sanghera DK, Chuang L, Liu L, Hu R, Kim Y, Daimon M, Hotta K, Jia W, Kooner JS, Chambers JC, Chandak GR, Ma RC, Maeda S, Dorajoo R, Yokota M, Takayanagi R, Kato N, Lin X*, Loos RJF. Association of genetic variation in FTO with risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes with data from 96,551 East and South Asians. Diabetologia. 55:981-95,2012.
- Lu L, Sheng H, Li H, Gan W, Liu C, Zhu J, Loos RJ, Lin X*. Associations between common variants in GC and DHCR7 and NADSYN1 and Vitamin D concentration in Chinese Hans. Human Genetics. 131:505-12,2012.
- Hou X, Sun L, Li Z, Mou H, Yu Z, Li H, Jiang P, Yu D, Wu H, Ye X, Lin X*, Le Y. Associations of amylin with inflammatory markers and metabolic syndrome in apparently healthy Chinese. PLoS One. 6:e24815,2011.
- Wu H, Yu Z, Qi Q, Li H, Sun Q, Lin X*. Joint analysis of multiple biomarkers for identifying type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and older Chinese: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 1:e000191, 2011.
- Zhang G, Pan A, Zong G, Yu Z, Wu H, Chen X, Tang L, Feng Y, Zhou H, Chen X, Li H, Hong B, Malik VS, Willett WC, Spiegelman D, Hu FB, Lin X*. Substituting White Rice with Brown Rice for 16 Weeks Did Not Substantially Affect Metabolic Risk Factors in Middle-Aged Chinese Men and Women with Diabetes or a High Risk for Diabetes. Journal of Nutrition. 141: 1685-1690, 2011.
- Liu C, Li H, Qi L, Loos RJ, Qi Q, Lu L, Gan W, Lin X*. Variants in GLIS3 and CRY2 Are Associated with Type 2 Diabetes and Impaired Fasting Glucose in Chinese Hans. PLoS One. 6: e21464, 2011.
- Sun L, Hu FB, Yu Z, Li H, Liu H, Wang X, Yu D, Wu H, Zhang G, Zong G, Liu Y, Lin X*. Lean body mass, interleukin 18, and metabolic syndrome in apparently healthy chinese. PLoS One. 6:e18104, 2011.
- Yu D, Yu Z, Sun Q, Sun L, Li H, Song J, Mi M, Wu H, Lu L, Liu C, Zhang G, Hu FB, Lin X*. Effects of Body Fat on the Associations of High-molecular-weight Adiponectin, Leptin and Soluble Leptin Receptor with Metabolic Syndrome in Chinese. PLoS One. 6:e16818, 2011.
- Liu C, Li H, Qi Q, Lu L, Gan W, Loos RJ, Lin X*. Common variants in or near FGF5, CYP17A1 and MTHFR genes are associated with blood pressure and hypertension in Chinese Hans. Journal of Hypertension. 29:70-5, 2011.
- Wu H, Pan A, Yu Z, Qi Q, Lu L, Zhang G, Yu D, Zong G, Zhou Y, Chen X, Tang L, Feng Y, Zhou H, Chen X, Li H, Demark-Wahnefried W, Hu FB, Lin X*. Lifestyle counseling and supplementation with flaxseed or walnuts influence the management of metabolic syndrome. Journal of Nutrition. 140:1937-42, 2010.
- Qi Q, Li H, Wu Y, Liu C, Wu H, Yu Z, Qi L, Hu FB, Loos RJF, Lin X*. Combined effects of 17 common genetic variants on type 2 diabetes risk in a Han Chinese population. Diabetologia. 53:2163-6, 2010.
- Sun L, Yu Z, Ye X, Zhou S, Li H, Yu D, Wu H, Chen Y, Joel Dore, Karine Clement, Hu FB, Lin X*. A Marker of Endotoxemia Is Associated With Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders in Apparently Healthy Chinese. Diabetes Care. 33:1925-32, 2010.
- Wu H, Qi Q, Yu Z, Sun Q, Wang J, Franco OH, Sun L, Li H, Liu Y, Hu FB, Lin X*. Independent and Opposite Associations of Trunk and Leg Fat Depots with Adipokines, Inflammatory Markers, and Metabolic Syndrome in Middle-Aged and Older Chinese Men and Women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 95:4389-4398, 2010.
- Qi Q, Li H, Loos RJF, Liu C, Wu Y, Hu FB, Wu H, Lu L, Yu Z, Lin X*. Common variants in KCNQ1 are associated with type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in a Chinese Han population. Human Molecular Genetics. 18:3508-3515, 2009.
- Yu Z, Ye X, Wang J, Qi Q, Franco OH, Rennie KL, Li H, Liu Y, Hu FB, Lin X*. Associations of physical activity with inflammatory factors, adipocytokines and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese people. Circulation. 119:2969-77, 2009.
- Pan A, Yu D, Demark-Wahnefried W, Franco OH, Lin X*. Meta-analysis of the effects of flaxseed interventions on the blood lipids. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 90:288-297, 2009.
- Lu L, Yu Z, Pan A, Hu FB, Franco OH, Li H, Li X, Yang X, Chen Y, Lin X*. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and metabolic syndrome among middle-aged and elderly Chinese individuals. Diabetes Care. 32:1278-83, 2009.
- Wu Y, Li H, Loos RJF, Qi Q, Hu FB, Liu Y, Lin X*. RBP4 variants are significantly associated with plasmaRBP4 levels and hypertriglyceridemia risk in Chinese Hans. Journal of Lipid Research. 50:1479-1486, 2009.
- Chen L, Fang J, Sun Z, Li H, Wu Y, Demark-Wahnefried W, Lin X*. Enterolactone inhibits insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor signaling in human prostatic carcinoma PC-3 cells. Journal of Nutrition. 139:653-659, 2009.
- Qi Q, Wu Y, Li H , Loos RJF, Hu FB, Sun L, Lu L, Pan A, Liu C, Wu H, Chen L, Yu Z, Lin X*. Association of GCKR rs780094 alone or in combination with GCK rs1799884 with type 2 diabetes and related traits in a Chinese Han population. Diabetologia. 52: 834-843, 2009.
- Wang J, Rennie KL, Gu W, Li H, Yu Z and Lin X*. Independent association of body-size adjusted fat mass and fat-free mass with the metabolic syndrome in Chinese. Annals of Human Biology. 36:110-121, 2009.
- Qi Q, Wang J, Li H, Yu Z, Ye X, Hu FB, Franco OH, Pan A, Liu Y, Lin X*. Associations of resistin with inflammatory and fibrinolytic markers, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese. European Journal of Endocrinology. 159:585-593, 2008.
- Yu Z, Sun J, Haas JD, Gu Y, Li Z, Lin X*. Macrosomia is associated with high weight-for-height in children aged 1-3 years in Shanghai, China. International Journal of Obesity. 32:55-60, 2008.
- Sun L, Franco OH, Hu FB, Cai L, Yu Z, Li H, Ye X, Qi Q, Wang J, Pan A, Liu Y and Lin X*. Ferritin concentrations, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 93:4690-4696, 2008.
- Pan A, Franco OH, Ye J, Demark-Wahnefried W, Ye X, Yu Z, Li H, Lin X*. Soy protein intake has sex-specific effects on the risk of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and elderly Chinese. Journal of Nutrition. 138:2413-2421, 2008.
- Pan A, Ye X, Franco OH, Li H, Yu Z, Wang J, Qi Q, Gu W, Pang X, Liu H, Lin X*. The Association of Depressive Symptoms with Inflammatory Factors and Adipokines in Middle-aged and Older Chinese. PLoS One. 3:e1392, 2008.
- Pan A, Franco OH, Wang Y, Yu Z, Ye X, Lin X*. Prevalence and geographic disparity of depressive symptoms among middle-aged and elderly in China. Journal of Affective Disorders. 105:167-175, 2008.
- Li H, Wu Y, Loos RJF, Hu FB, Liu Y, Wang J, Yu Z, Lin X*. Variants in FTO gene are not associated with obesity in a Chinese Han population. Diabetes. 57: 264-268, 2008.
- Wu Y, Li H, Loos RJF, Yu Z, Ye X, Chen L, Pan A, Hu Frank B, Lin X*. Common variants in CDKAL1, CDKN2A/B, IGF2BP2, SLC30A8 and HHEX/IDE genes are associated with type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in a Chinese Han population. Diabetes. 57:2834-2842, 2008.
- Qi Q, Yu Z, Ye X, Zhao F, Huang P, Hu FB, Franco OH, Wang J, Li H, Liu Y, Lin X*. Elevated retinol-binding protein 4 levels are associated with metabolic syndrome in Chinese people. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 92:4827-4834, 2007.
- Ye X, Yu Z, Li H, Franco OH, Liu Y, Lin X*. Distributions of c-reactive protein and its association with metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese people. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 49:1798-805, 2007.